Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Magazine deaths; still no dearth

Today is the day I promised my poor husband that I would go through the piles of magazines I've been hoarding, and clean them out, once and for all. But of course, I can't. Too many good articles, too much inspiration... and a few titles that no longer exist. I was so sad to learn that House & Garden was leaving the scene. I don't know. Maybe I was one of the few who thought it was a fabulous magazine. According to the Condé Nast (parent company) website, its ad pages were down .3 percent this last year. That seems negligible, but what do I know? It must be a daunting task to produce a magazine every month, and keep it in the black. I do know that I loved the pieces by editor Dominique Browning, a masterful writer. [How many editor's notes do you actually look forward to reading? It's usually just a fluffy puff about how great the issue is.] And, I loved the Testy Tastemaker column on the back page, always a hilarious and snarky commentary on design and life. House & Garden wasn't the kind of magazine where you'd find practical, affordable (!) DIY tips, but it wasn't afraid to profile some extraordinary (sometimes outlandish) designers, homes and architectural projects. December's issue (the last of its kind) had a piece on the late Hollywood designer Tony Duquette. What a madman!

I guess the newish Blueprint magazine also went out of business. It was good. Didn't last long. And you probably all know that Victoria magazine is back in print, and looks just like its old self. Some of it is still a bit ethereal and foufy, but I'm glad to see it back. We were lucky enough to have our Pomegranate business card showcased in the magazine back in what -- 2003? -- just before it went out. It was our little claim to fame. In the current March/April issue, there's a lovely article about hotel silver and a collector/dealer extraordinaire. Her collection makes me drool with envy. Hotel silver is one of my little passions in life, and we do have some nice pieces (and are always on the hunt for it to bring into the shops), but this collection is particularly fine and rare. If you're interested in hotel silver, I recommend this article just for the eye candy. Check with us at the shops, because we always love to talk about it, and sometimes have some wonderful pieces in stock. It comes and goes, depending on where and when we can find it. It's getting harder and harder to find good pieces, but I always have my radar on everywhere we go (and are lucky enough to have a few people out there looking for it for us).

Now it's back to my magazine purging project. It kind of goes like this: pick up an old issue of Smithsonian (such a great magazine!), scan a couple of articles, put it in the 'save' pile. Back issues of Domino: so fabulous! Put them in the 'save' pile. House & Garden: can't get it anymore, so better put them in the 'save' pile. Can't throw Martha Stewart and Living out either. National Geographic: lots of great stuff dog-eared, but not yet read. Cottage Living had some great photo shoots and things I may have missed, so they go in the 'save' pile too. Elle Décor, much to be saved and savored. Am I making progress yet? Is there a cure for this?

1 comment:

Susanne said...

Jan, I am in the same existential conundrum! I have boxes and boxes of magazines "to go through" and pull articles from, but then there are so many great magazines just packed with so much stuff, so I'll write "**A Keeper!**" right on the front so it is in no danger of going the way of the recycling bin. But then aren't the magazines more useful when "deconstructed" and put into folders like "boudoirs" or "France B&B's"... it's really tough to have to cut the stacks down to size. That said, I cannot throw out a single copy of Victoria, and my Victoria mags are part of my prized possessions. Magazines are more than an obsession for me... they are a huge source of inspiration and downright educational at times (can those H&G and Martha Stewart Living articles maybe substitute for a night school class I never have the time to sign up for?) Sigh.