Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Not so happy news, but there is an upside

So, we've made the very difficult decision to close our downtown Bend shop (Pomegranate Downtown). The good news: we're keeping our original store and plan to make it even better. In fact, we're really looking forward to going back to our roots and doing what we do well. With just one location.

Truth is, it's harder than we thought to maintain two stores, and before our heads implode (or one of us gets an ulcer), we're going to close operations downtown and move it all over to Pomegranate Home & Garden (our River Mall Avenue location). We just celebrated our tenth anniversary in business there, and plan to keep going for many more years.

I hate doing this, because I love both our stores. And I think downtown Bend is about as charming as it gets. I love that it's cozy and walkable, has great views, has kept its vintage appeal (although a few of those flat concrete bank buildings could use a remodel, pronto), and has top-notch independent restaurants and shops. I love being a part of it.

The good news is, we're looking forward to putting all our energy and passion into our original shop, and concentrating on making it better. It is a darling little spot, afterall, even if it is a little hidden (and sometimes that's a good thing). I have lots of ideas for it -- things I couldn't get to with two stores to maintain (really looking forward to less time spent doing administrative junk). Like, I'm envisioning the front porch with this kind of "french laundry" feel, with linens and aprons and great laundry products and French linen waters. We'll have all our best lines at our new, improved River Mall Avenue Pomegranate, and will add some new ones. I'd like to increase our offerings of great letterpress cards and paper products, ribbons, books, gourmet foods, music, soaps and lotions... wind it up, baby!

Meanwhile, we're looking for a new tenant for our downtown space, and someone is going to step into what I think is the dreamiest space available. When we first walked in there and saw all that great old brick, the wood floors, the skylight, and cool tin ceilings, every fiber in my body was alive with happiness. Bingo! It's perfect. If you have questions about it, you can email me, and I'll put you in touch with the appropriate personage. Meanwhile, we're staying put until the new tenant is found, and are going forward with everything as before. More new merchandise is coming in every day, and life is as normal as it can be...

No comments: