Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Don't take it from me: fashion notes

There was a time in my life when I might have been somewhat stylish, fashion-wise. These days, it's more about comfort and durability. If you've been out to Pomegranate, you know how the property is a bit rough and tumble. I don't want to take a tumble, so I wear low-heeled shoes. I'm always tearing clothes on the big old rough ice house doors, or the snaggy wild rose bushes. Getting splinters and smudges from the front door or mailbox post with the flag on it. So I just go for comfortable, neutral basics. Pretty boring.

But I do scan fashion magazines and blogs. I just like to know things. My radar is up, because I think fashion is loosely related to interior design. You have to take it with a lot of restraint, however. Just because ruffly tops are in this year doesn't mean you should be ordering ruffly fou-fou window valances. Never! But there's always a little thread that runs through it all, even if limited to a few patterns, textures, or colors.

There's one style this year (actually, last year, but just now hitting the mainstream) that I cannot begin to like. I didn't like it in 1978, either. It's that shiny satin blouse with a big bow tied at the neck. It's Dianne Feinstein, 1979. No offense, Dianne, but it's fusty and matronly and I just don't get it. In the 70's it was a way to soften up the severe-looking suits that professional women were compelled to wear. Ugh. There are some variations on that look that are really cute and stylish (with a lower neckline, for instance), but the basic thing still looks so wrong to me. Maybe next year I'll slowly begin accepting it again (funny how that happens)... just in time for it to be totally passé. Fashion is so fickle, isn't it?

Now that's just ugly (above). But don't listen to me...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh i hope those big bows don't come back!!!!!!!!!!!