Monday, July 12, 2010

Ding dong drivers: to be thankful for horns that honk and brakes that work

Two fun incidents on the way to work this morning: 1) A car coming the wrong way on a one-way street, the driver chatting merrily away on her cellphone. Right in front of the courthouse! Brilliant! The guy in front of me waved wildly at her; I honked and yelled (as if someone was listening?). She finally figured it out, I think, about half a block later, when she yanked the car around crosswise into a parking spot and started to back out crazily.

2) Few blocks later, I'm coming along in the right turn lane, when a stopped car in the left turn lane decides to turn right, without looking, without turn signals, directly in front of me. Just whips his little car across the lane, right into position for a good t-bone style crash. Fortunately, I was already on high alert and slammed my brakes so hard all the contents of the back seat (not the dog, fortunately, as I had left her at home) came flying forward. Honked the horn, hard, and got a meek little wave from the passenger.

Has the heat melted our brains already?

No comments: