Saturday, June 4, 2011

"Antiques Roadshow" blues: how PBS inadvertently created a little capitalistic kingdom

{We wanted to meet this guy, and see what kind of crazy pants he might be wearing.}

If you've been in our shop, you know we adore antiques and vintage things, from the oddball to the beautiful. And we love watching Antiques Roadshow. So when Roadshow announced they were doing a segment in Eugene, I signed up for tickets the minute they were available. All over it, I was! Figured if we couldn't get anyone to cover the store for a day or two, heck, we'd just close up and head over to Eugene and make a little mini-vacation of it (you know it's serious love when we'd do that, on a Saturday no less... not once in 13 years have we ever just closed the doors when we were supposed to be open). Here's how it works: for the June 4 taping, we applied back in March or April. Tickets are free, but there are not enough for everyone who wants to attend, so they hold a lottery and pick names randomly. You know about three weeks in advance whether or not you were picked for a pair of tickets. We were not.

Well, I thought. Maybe there are going to be tickets floating around out there – someone who was picked in the lottery but later decided they couldn't go. A kind soul who would pass them along to someone who really wanted to go. Right. This is what I found: scalpers and sharks on eBay! Who knew? People around the country apply for tickets no matter where the venue is (with no intention of attending), then auction them off on eBay if they get picked in the lottery. Poo. Mostly they were listed at around $250 for a pair of tickets, but seemed to sell (and they all sold) in the $100-$125 range. Wow. I'm crazy for it, but not that crazy.

So if you're going today, at least bring good stuff. Don't bore the appraisers with depression glass or a fake Stradivarius. Maybe we'll see you next spring on the TV episode.

Meanwhile, Pomegranate is open today. We are here! We are not going anywhere!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad you didn't snag any tickets! How about a mention of the French Flea Market coming this Sat., June 11th?? :-)

Unruly said...

this same thing happened to me. I was so excited to go to Eugene!! I was already taking inventory of my "valuables" that I was going to bring, but I too didn't get picked fore the lottery and was so depressed!
Now I'm just angry. I didn't know people scalped tickets for ARS. How terrible. It just ruins all the fun.
BTW - loved the flea market!! Got some really cool stuff. Thanks!

Unruly said...

Wow - I didn't realize people scalped tickets that are FREE!! I also was all excited and ready to go when I found out I didn't get picked for the lottery.
What a bummer. Kinda ruins the fun and makes me a little angry.
BTW - loved the Flea Market. I got some great stuff. Thanks!!

shopping monkey said...

I know, Unruly! {btw, love the name.} When that Eugene show airs next spring (summer?), they better show some good stuff. I guess the good news is, people who pay $150 for what should be free tickets really want to attend, and presumably bring some interesting items. Glad you enjoyed the flea market -- I think it might have been one of our best ever! I had way too much fun, myself...

Unruly said...

Thats a really good point. Should be good stuff if people are paying to get in! I like your half full cup. :)
Btw- sorry for the double post. I didn't think the first one went through.