Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Loving lavender all over again: new line at Pomegranate

Last month I added a new spot to my 'happy places' list. Go ahead, laugh at how silly that sounds, but when I'm having trouble sleeping, I dredge up these places and think about being there. And then I fall asleep, content.

My new place is Matanzas Creek Winery in the Bennett Valley area of Sonoma. We were lucky enough to visit them last month at the tail end of our family road trip. It's a lovely winery (with great wines) set in this gorgeous location with vineyards and mounds of lavender spread out like a velvety skirt below the tasting room. The tasting room is serene and contemporary and features – aside from their delicious wines – a line of products made from their own estate-grown lavender. We loved it all (including the packaging) and thought it would be a great addition to our offerings at Pomegranate. A little piece of lavender heaven from Sonoma.

And here it is! I love the lavender body butter in that sweet little jar. It smells wonderful, and goes a long way. When my hands are really dry (all the time), I rub some of that in and feel instantly better. We also have a lavender/chamomile butter, lavender lotion and soap, and lavender essential oil in a little roll-on vial.

Here's what I learned about lavender oil (in the past I never really knew what you were supposed to do with it, so we didn't carry it). Not only does it smell great (and is very soothing), it is a natural topical antibiotic, so you can keep a vial in the kitchen for burns or cuts. Apparently it's what many soldiers used in WWII to help heal wounds.

In the culinary department, we also brought in their great little tins of Herbes de Provence (with lavender, of course), a fabulous dry rub, and culinary lavender. All of which make great gifts. And here's something we learned about culinary lavender: a little goes a long way. If you want to dress up a plain goat cheese, just make a little row of culinary lavender buds along the top, but not too much. About one little bud per taste is enough. What makes it culinary? It's organic, for one, and it has to be the right variety of lavender. In our little educational tour at Matanzas, we tasted different varieties of lavender, and some are outright bitter... so don't just use any old lavender growing at home.

It all just arrived at Pomegranate. Here are a few pictures.

I wanted to move into this barn with hundreds of lavender bunches drying in the rafters. Just give me a little cot and I'll be happy...

Inside the barn with all the lavender products. Heaven!

Lavender body butter is rich and soothing.

Lavender/chamomile butter comes in a great box.

Lavender essential oil in tiny vial.

Hand-crafted lavender soaps wrapped in beautiful paper.

Culinary lavender and herbes de provence in tins.

Favorite new must-have on my nightstand.

No comments: