Monday, January 28, 2013

Shopping monkey returns from market, tired but happy.

I returned home from the Atlanta gift market just a few weeks ago, and just now feel like I've finally caught up on sleep. What a marathon that was. It's immense, it's full of wonderful, innovative products... alongside some really scary junk and useless things. There are a million decisions to be made.

Last night I had this long dream about going back to school: the campus was composed of three enormous and confusing buildings, with escalators that only went to certain floors, cross-hatched tunnels that connected the buildings, but only if you found the secret entrance... I was late for classes because I'd go to the right floor in the wrong building, or could see where I wanted to end up, but couldn't find the path to get there. When I woke up,  I realized I was back at market, traversing these giant buildings and sometimes going in circles. You'd think I'd have it all figured out by now, but no. There is just so much to see.

I did find some fabulous things for the shop; in fact, I'm really excited and happy about all my discoveries. Cannot wait for them to start coming in (a few already have), and will post pictures as we go along.

I did spot a number of trends... not that we really get in on a lot of that (space considerations for one thing), but it's always interesting to see. There was a little less of the industrial-inspired furniture. Don't get me wrong, I love that look, but just a little mixed in works nicely – not a whole diet of it. And some of it was just a little too chunky and raw and crusty for my taste. What I really like is the real thing: a true industrial cart or case... but they are very hard to find and expensive. Sometimes the faux-industrial pieces go too far, like maybe too many gears and wheels where they should have kept it simpler. But I loved all the natural wood and chunky cutting boards and bowls and recycled pieces.

I also saw a lot of Hollywood Regency look, which is another love of mine, but also in small doses. Lots of starburst mirrors, mirrored cabinets, sleek tables... none of which we have room for in the shop, so we're not going there anyway. The artwork all seemed very large to me. Gigantic pieces to make a huge statement. I like that too (one of my favorite pieces of my parents is a 1950s painting that's about 7'x5'). But that kind of size doesn't work everywhere, for everyone. If you live in a 1920s cottage, you might not be able to handle a monster piece.

There was a lot of Ikat designs (pillows, bedding, table linens), and I ordered some of my favorites. It really is a classic, and I'm glad to see a few ideas coming back around (as in, from the 1960s). Less apparent was the flame stitch design so prevalent in the last few years. I was happy it was kind of gone: it reminds me too much of syrupy 70's wall hangings. The burlap/jute theme on everything was a little toned down, too. Another look I like, but only in small bits. On the other hand, a natural linen will always be gorgeous and welcome.

The jewelry was fabulous this season. Lots of bangles and wraps (yep, we've got 'em) and really fun pieces, from chunky to delicate, vintage to modern. Druzy stones were the star of the day, and I had a good time choosing my favorites. It also reminded me of the 60s, but in a whole new way. Is it the redux of the hippies? What's next? Macramé plant holders? Not for this girl...

Stay tuned for all our new arrivals.




No comments: