Monday, June 16, 2008

Another reason (or three) to love Oregon

1) $52 to renew the license plates for our Toyota... the first time we've had to renew since buying it in 2002. Ex-pat Californians: do you remember coughing up hundreds of dollars every year for license renewal? That was just for a dinky car. New SUVs might be close to $1,000 a year. More?

2) You gotta love no sale tax. It's just so easy. Tourists love it too: it makes them happy. And just imagine how simple it is for us small business owners not to have to collect and report sales tax (the rest of it is hard enough). Years ago (back in California) I had this idea for a little publication and went to the Board of Equalization (weird name for a tax board) to see what was required for them. Ach! The hoops to jump through. The forms to fill out. You'd think I was applying for a Secret Service job. The administration and policing of that tax monster must cost at least a third of what the state brings in. Please don't ever vote for a sales tax (but I wouldn't mind paying a little more for car registration if it helps with our roads).

3) I love that we're not allowed to pump our own gas, and really appreciate all those nice guys out there who do it for me. Whoooeee -- have I turned into some kind of princess, or what?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya know what my favorite thing about Oregon is? It's when all the Caliwonks move back home. I like that.

shopping monkey said...

That's funny, Anonymous. I thought that whole xenophobic thing was long gone. But thanks for reading. Really. I get so excited when that reader meter up ticks. Another reader! That makes ten! Pretty soon I'll qualify for Google ads...

Anonymous said...

Now that gas prices are so high, I actually TIP my gas station attendent $3.00 when I fill up. Actually been doing it for a while and now my husband tips them as well. The person pumping the gas is usually shocked because they mostly hear complaints it seems.

Love your blog :)
Pomorama Shopper

shopping monkey said...

Thank you! You know, that's a really good idea, and I'm going to start doing it too. Especially when there's the occasional window washing, too.