Sunday, June 15, 2008

Savvy Shopper gets Sourced

The Source just went off on The Bulletin for its new section called "The Savvy Shopper." Issues with the brazen commercial aspect of it all, I guess. Dude! Stay calm. Newspapers are getting skimpier every day. What's wrong with adding a section that most other dailies have had for a long time?

When I left San Francisco 11 years ago, I kind of missed the Chronicle's weekly home/fashion shopping section. There was Sally Sokolich's "Bargain Hunter," plus features on new shops, shows, products... It created a buzz, it supported the local independent retailer community, and how else would you find out about some off-the-wall warehouse sale in Richmond? No, it's not news. It's fluff. But it's not in the front of the newspaper, either.

A few weeks ago when the Bulletin's first Wednesday "Savvy Shopper" section appeared, they printed a small blurb about Pomegranate's French Flea Market. There's my disclaimer: I was happy because it's the first time in ten years we've ever had a press release printed, anywhere. We've been operating off the radar for so long -- it was a very pleasant surprise to finally see a mention.

Here's the real tragedy: in the back of the paper, an article (no bigger than a baby's foot) on the turning back from Myanmar of US ships filled with relief supplies. How about a little more information on that?

2 comments:

Old Doc Huck said...

Like, The Source has no ads? I also was amused by their attack on the Bulletin for being a capitalist endeavor. It had a sort of sour grapes taste.

shopping monkey said...

Yep, and ironically, just after I posted that bit I started working on my next ad to submit to... The Source.